The Atlanta-based Southern Regional Council (SRC) was formed in 1943 as successor to the Commission on Interracial Cooperation (founded in 1919); the two groups merged in 1944. The main focus of SRC was to improve economic, civic and racial conditions in the South for whites and blacks, as well as to lead the struggle against segregation, promote voter registration, and encourage broad reforms in the structure of Southern government. The SRC also conducted research projects, producing reports on race relations and the overall economic, political and social conditions of the South. The SRC continues to be active in Southern politics, social research and leadership training. Over the years, various officials within the -SRC transferred records to three different archival repositories in the Atlanta area. AUC-RWWL holds the majority of the records from its inception until 1968; as well as over 600 linear feet of additional materials from the 1980s to 2000s. Emory University's SRC records include administrative and program files from 1960 to2000. AARL holds the press files from 1940 to1975, as well as a large collection of SRC publications. At present, the unprocessed portion of AUC-RWWL records and the collections at AARL and Emory are not available for research use. Completion of the processing of the SRC records is an important expansion of the documentation of civil rights history from the movement��s classic years into the late twentieth century.