Mount Vernon Seminary and College dates to 1875, when Mount Vernon Seminary was founded as a high school and junior college for women. By 1996, Mount Vernon College (MVC) became affiliated with The George Washington University and in 1999 they graduated their last class. The grounds and the legacy of Mount Vernon Seminary and College now belong to GW. The University houses undergraduate students on the Mount Vernon campus, as well as several academic programs and athletics fields. Even in the nineteenth century, Mount Vernon Seminary had a diverse, international student body. As the first academic institution of higher learning available to women in the District of Columbia, it attracted the children of diplomats and other international leaders residing in the nation��s capitol. Two-thirds of this latest collection of Mount Vernon Seminary and College materials was recently discovered in the basement of one of the University (former MVC) buildings. Additional materials were located in storage in the Gelman Library at The George Washington University. The approximately 690 linear feet contain a wide range of materials, dating from 1875 through 2008. The bulk of the content appears to be administrative files from the office of the president, the development office, and the Board of Trustees; photographs; ephemera; audio recordings; student records; artifacts; items collected by alumnae; and materials relating to three different neighborhoods of Washington, DC.
The George Washington University Libraries